20211219_9_ee
A village with a big story
Little Holland cottages at top of Green no longer there
train
20210715_104633_ees
Claypits Pond with Horses 1905
Long Melford Coronation fancy dress competition at the British Legion in Cordell road1953
previous arrow
next arrow

Ball

Reference to the name Ball recorded in Long Melford appear occasionally in the eighteenth century, however the first substantive reference to be found occurs when George and Mary Ball made their home in the village in the 1860s. By the end of the century the family disappears from the record. The only other reference to a Ball living in Melford comes from Kelly's Directory for Suffolk in 1916 which lists John Henry Ball as the landlord of the Black Lion Inn in Westgate Street. This gentleman does not appear to be related to the earlier family.

BALL, John Henry

Born: Unknown.  Parents: Unknown.  Home: Black Lion Inn, Westgate Street, Long Melford [1916].  Occupation: Innkeeper [1916].  Service Record: John was a member of the Long Melford Volunteer Training Corps in 1915.[1]

[1] Kelly’s Directory Suffolk 1916, p.316.  For Training Corps article see Suffolk and Essex Free Press 10.3.1915.

Research by David Gevaux MA © 2022

error: Content is protected !!